The Definition and the Uses of Venn Diagram
Blank Venn Diagram Template Pdf – You have most likely seen or read about an Venn diagram earlier. Anyone who’s attended Mathematics specifically Algebra and Probability, must be already familiar with this image. It is a visual aid that is used to show the relationship between a set of items. Find out more about this frequently utilized diagram across various fields and fields below.
What Is a Venn Diagram?
The Venn diagram is a drawing of overlapping circles to demonstrate the interrelationships between different items and groups. When circles overlap, they share certain traits and those that don’t overlap mean that they don’t have any similarities. Each circle is typically is accompanied by a brief description of the category it belongs to.
It is used to represent the similarities and differences in a visual manner between various things, groups or concepts. It is often used in the field of education as a helpful tool. It has also been used all over the world from the beginning during the latter half of 20th Century at the elementary level and as an integral part of the logic curriculum.
The diagram was popularised in the 1880s by John Venn, an English logician during the 1880s. Similar diagrams were designed in the early 1700s in the 1700s by Leonard Euler, a Swiss mathematician, who named them Eulerian circles. This being said, the word was not widely used for a long time until Clarence Lewis, an academic philosopher and conceptual pragmatism founder used the term in 1918. In 1918, the term was used to describe an illustration of a circle in his book, which was named “A Survey of Symbolic Logic.”
What Is the Purpose and Benefits of the Venn Diagram?
The Venn diagram is employed a lot within the world of academics. Teachers at the school use this tool for teaching mathematical principles such sets, intersections, and unions. For more advanced maths it can also be used to tackle difficult problems. You can also find diagrams related to statistics, especially predictive analytics.
Apart from mathematics-related disciplines it is also utilized to study similarities and differences between various languages. In the world of business it is utilized to compare products or services and everything else relevant.
Here is the description of how the diagram could do:
- Visually organize data to search for relationships (similarities as well as differences) between sets of items.
- Regardless of complexity level, display the logic of specific concepts and serve visual aids to show the relationship between them.
- When you are deciding on which products or services to purchase take the time to compare different options and easily discern the similarities and differences among them.
- Solve a variety of mathematical problems.
- Analyze data sets, discover correlations, and assess the probabilities of events.
- Reason logic that is used to support equations or statements, as well as how to group.
One of the major reasons why Venn diagrams are so effective and popular Venn diagram is so powerful and popular is because of its ease of use. It allows you to look at things in a different way, determine those areas that overlap or separate and provide an illustration of the relation. Along with pie charts, bar graphs, quadrant charts flow charts, as well as a variety of other tools for visualizing data are a good method to display your data, or aid in the method of thinking.
FREE Venn Diagram Template For Word, Powerpoint & PDF
Venn Diagram Symbols Meaning
- ∪ >> Union of Two Sets. The union of two sets is represented by a full Venn diagram.
- ∩ >> Intersection of Two Sets. The intersection of two categories reveals which things are shared between them.
- Ac >> Complement of a Set. Whatever is not represented in a set is referred to as the complement.