The Definition and the Uses of Venn Diagram
Editable Venn Diagram For Word – Most likely, you’ve been exposed to or encountered a Venn diagram prior to. Anyone who has attended Mathematics particularly Algebra and Probability, must be already familiar with this figure. The diagram is visual aid that is used to show the relationship between a collection of objects. Find out more about this widely employed diagram in different fields and fields below.
What Is a Venn Diagram?
A Venn diagram is a drawing of circles that are overlapping to illustrate the relationship between objects and groups. Overlapping circles mean that they share a certain characteristic but those that do not overlap indicate that they do not share a commonality. Each circle is typically is accompanied by a brief description of what it’s representing in terms of.
It is used to represent the similarities and differences visually between groups, things, or concepts. It is frequently used in the educational field as a tool that can be useful. It has also been used throughout the world since the midst during the latter half of 20th Century at primary educational levels and as a vital component of the curriculum for logic.
The diagram was popularized by John Venn, an English logician during the 1880s. Similar diagrams were created in the early 1700s in the 1700s by Leonard Euler, a Swiss mathematician. He referred to them as Eulerian circles. However, the word was not widely used until Clarence Lewis, an academic philosopher and conceptual pragmatism’s founder used the term in 1918. At that time, it was used to refer to a circular illustration in his book, which was named “A Survey of Symbolic Logic.”
What Is the Purpose and Benefits of the Venn Diagram?
It is a popular Venn diagram is used often across the globe of academia. Teachers at schools use the device to teach mathematical concepts, such as sets, intersections and unions. When it comes to more advanced mathematics it’s also used to solve complicated problems. You can also find diagrams that pertain to statistics, specifically predictive analytics.
Beyond mathematics-related fields, it is also used to examine the similarities and distinctions between various languages. In business it is used to compare products, services, and anything that is relevant.
Here’s the description of how the diagram can accomplish:
- Visually organize information in order to look for connections (similarities in addition to differences) between item sets.
- Regardless of the complexity level show the logic behind specific concepts and serve visual communication to illustrate the relation between them.
- When deciding what products or services to purchase, compare several options and easily discern the similarities and differences between them.
- Solve many mathematical problems.
- Analyze the data set, discover correlations, and assess the probability of particular events.
- Reason logic that supports equations or statements and how to group.
One of the biggest reasons for why it is that the Venn diagram is so effective and popular is its simplicity. It allows you to compare things, identify where they overlap and separate and provide an image representation of the relationship. Alongside pie charts, bar graphs, quadrant charts flow charts and other data visualization tools are a good method of presenting your data, or aid in the method of thinking.
FREE Venn Diagram Template For Word, Powerpoint & PDF
Venn Diagram Symbols Meaning
- ∪ >> Union of Two Sets. The union of two sets is represented by a full Venn diagram.
- ∩ >> Intersection of Two Sets. The intersection of two categories reveals which things are shared between them.
- Ac >> Complement of a Set. Whatever is not represented in a set is referred to as the complement.