The Definition and the Uses of Venn Diagram
Editable Venn Diagram Pdf – You’ve probably seen or read about the Venn diagram prior to. Anyone who has taken Mathematics specifically Algebra and Probability, must be already familiar with this image. Visual aid that is used to show the relationship between a collection of objects. Find out more about this widely utilized diagram in various areas and fields below.
What Is a Venn Diagram?
A Venn diagram is a drawing of overlapping circles to demonstrate the relationships between items and groups. In the event that two circles overlap, they share certain characteristics, while those who don’t overlap means that they don’t share a commonality. Each circle is typically accompanied by informational text about what it’s representing in terms of.
It’s used to depict differentiators and similarities visually between groups, things, or concepts. It is commonly found in the education field as a valuable tool. It has also been utilized throughout the world from the beginning in the early 20th century, at the elementary level and as a vital component of the curriculum for logic.
The diagram was popularized through John Venn, an English logician from the 1880s. Similar diagrams were created in the early 1700s through Leonard Euler, a Swiss mathematician, who called them Eulerian circles. That being said, the word was not widely used up until Clarence Lewis, an academic philosopher and conceptual pragmatism pioneer who used it in 1918. At that time, it was used to refer to a circular illustration in his book, which was called “A Survey of Symbolic Logic.”
What Is the Purpose and Benefits of the Venn Diagram?
The Venn diagram is employed often within the world of academics. Teachers at schools use the tool to help teach mathematic concepts, such as sets, intersections and unions. For more advanced maths, it is also employed to solve complicated problems. You can also find diagrams in the field of statistics, particularly predictive analytics.
Beyond mathematics-related fields, it can also be used to analyze the similarities and differences between different languages. In the world of business it is used to show comparisons between products, services, and anything relevant.
Here’s the description of how the diagram can accomplish:
- Visually organize information in order to identify relationships (similarities or differences) between different sets of items.
- – No matter the level of complexity show the logic behind particular concepts and provide visual representation to demonstrate the connection between them.
- When deciding what products or services to purchase look at a variety of options and easily discern the similarities and differences among them.
- Solve a variety of mathematical problems.
- Analyze data sets to identify correlations, and evaluate the probability of certain events.
- Reason logic that supports equations or statements, as well as groups.
One of the main reasons why the Venn diagram can be so effective and so popular is due to its simplicity. It lets you analyze things and determine those areas that overlap or separate and also serve as visual representation of the relation. Along with pie charts, quadrant charts, bar graphs flow charts and a myriad of other tools for visualizing data offer a great way to display your data or help with the method of thinking.
FREE Venn Diagram Template For Word, Powerpoint & PDF
Venn Diagram Symbols Meaning
- ∪ >> Union of Two Sets. The union of two sets is represented by a full Venn diagram.
- ∩ >> Intersection of Two Sets. The intersection of two categories reveals which things are shared between them.
- Ac >> Complement of a Set. Whatever is not represented in a set is referred to as the complement.