The Definition and the Uses of Venn Diagram
Editable Venn Diagram Template – You’ve probably read about or encountered an Venn diagram before. Anyone who’s attended Mathematics in particular Algebra and Probability, must have a good understanding of this diagram. This is an image tool that is used to show the relationship between various items. Learn more about this commonly utilized diagram across various fields and fields below.
What Is a Venn Diagram?
A Venn diagram is a drawing of overlapping circles in order to show the relationships between items or groups of items. In the event that two circles overlap, they share a certain characteristic, while those who don’t overlap indicate that they do not share any commonality. Each circle is usually accompanied by informational text about the subject matter it is a part of.
It can be used to show the similarities and differences in a visual manner between different things, groups or concepts. It is often used in the education field as a useful tool. It’s also been used throughout the world since the middle during the latter half of 20th Century at elementary educational levels, and also as an integral component of the curriculum for logic.
The diagram was popularized by John Venn, an English logician in the 1880s. Similar diagrams were created in the 17th century through Leonard Euler, a Swiss mathematician, who named them Eulerian circles. This being said, the term was not popular up until Clarence Lewis, an academic philosopher and conceptual pragmatism founder, utilized it in 1918. In 1918, the term was used to describe the circular illustration in his book, which was called “A Survey of Symbolic Logic.”
What Is the Purpose and Benefits of the Venn Diagram?
The Venn diagram is utilized a lot throughout the educational world. Teachers at the school use this tool in teaching math concepts, such as sets, intersections and unions. At higher mathematics it can also be used to tackle complicated problems. You can also find diagrams that pertain to statistics, specifically predictive analytics.
Outside of mathematics-related disciplines, it is also utilized to study similarities and differences between various languages. In business it is utilized to present comparisons of products as well as services. It is also used to display any other information pertinent.
Here’s a description of how the diagram could do:
- Visually organize data in order to identify relationships (similarities and differences) between sets of items.
- Regardless of the complexity level regardless of complexity level, show the logic behind particular concepts and provide visual communication to illustrate the relationship between them.
- When deciding what products or services to purchase, compare several options and easily discern the similarities and differences among them.
- Solve many mathematical problems.
- Analyze data sets to discover correlations, and assess the probability of certain events.
- – Reason logic which supports equations or statements, and groups.
One of the main reasons that the Venn diagram is so powerful and well-known is because of its simplicity. It lets you examine things, find out those areas that overlap or separate and provide visual representation of the relationship. Along with pie charts, bar graphs, quadrant charts flow charts and other tools for data visualization, they provide an effective way to display your data or assist in the method of thinking.
FREE Venn Diagram Template For Word, Powerpoint & PDF
Venn Diagram Symbols Meaning
- ∪ >> Union of Two Sets. The union of two sets is represented by a full Venn diagram.
- ∩ >> Intersection of Two Sets. The intersection of two categories reveals which things are shared between them.
- Ac >> Complement of a Set. Whatever is not represented in a set is referred to as the complement.