The Definition and the Uses of Venn Diagram
Fillable Venn Diagram Word Template – You’ve probably read about or encountered a Venn diagram in the past. Anyone who has attended Mathematics in particular Algebra and Probability, must already be familiar with this figure. It is a visual tool used to illustrate the relationship between various items. Learn more about this commonly utilized diagram across various fields and fields below.
What Is a Venn Diagram?
An Venn diagram is a drawing of overlapping circles in order to show the interrelationships between different items or groups. The overlap of circles indicates that they share certain characteristics and those that don’t overlap mean that they don’t have any similarities. Each circle is typically is accompanied by a brief description of what category it represents.
It can be used to show similarities and differences visually between groups, things or concepts. It is often used in the educational field as a valuable tool. It’s been in use around the world since the midst of the 20th century, at elementary levels as a crucial part of the logic curriculum.
The diagram was popularized by John Venn, an English logician in the 1880s. Similar diagrams were designed in the early 1700s through Leonard Euler, a Swiss mathematician who referred to them as Eulerian circles. The term was not used until Clarence Lewis, an academic philosopher and conceptual pragmatism’s founder employed it in 1918. The term was used to refer to the circular illustration in the book he wrote, titled “A Survey of Symbolic Logic.”
What Is the Purpose and Benefits of the Venn Diagram?
The Venn diagram is used a lot within the world of academics. Teachers at the school use the tool for teaching mathematical principles such as intersections, sets, and unions. At higher levels of mathematics it can also be used to tackle difficult problems. There are also diagrams within the field of statistics, particularly predictive analytics.
Beyond mathematics-related fields, it is also used to research the similarities and the differences between different languages. In the business world it is utilized to display comparisons of products or services as well as anything else applicable.
Here is the explanation of how the diagram can accomplish:
- Visually organize information in order to identify relationships (similarities as well as differences) between item sets.
- – No matter the level of complexity, display the logic of particular concepts. They also serve as visual aids to show the relationship between them.
- If you’re deciding on what goods or services to purchase take the time to compare different options and easily discern the similarities and distinctions between them.
- Solve a range of mathematical problems.
- Analyze data sets, uncover correlations, and then evaluate the probability of certain events.
- Reason logic that is used to support equations or statements, as well as an approach to grouping.
One of the major reasons that one of the main reasons why Venn diagram can be so effective and so popular is because of its simplicity. This tool allows you to compare things, identify the areas where they intersect and differ and provide an illustration of the relation. Alongside pie charts, bar graphs, quadrant charts, flow charts, and other data visualization tools are a good way to display your data and aid the method of thinking.
FREE Venn Diagram Template For Word, Powerpoint & PDF
Venn Diagram Symbols Meaning
- ∪ >> Union of Two Sets. The union of two sets is represented by a full Venn diagram.
- ∩ >> Intersection of Two Sets. The intersection of two categories reveals which things are shared between them.
- Ac >> Complement of a Set. Whatever is not represented in a set is referred to as the complement.