The Definition and the Uses of Venn Diagram
Free Fillable Venn Diagram Template – It is likely that you have read about or encountered an Venn diagram earlier. Anyone who has taken Mathematics in particular Algebra and Probability, must be familiar with this image. This is an image aid that shows the relationship between a set of items. Learn more about this commonly utilized diagram in various areas and fields below.
What Is a Venn Diagram?
A Venn diagram is an illustration of overlapping circles to demonstrate the connections between items or groups of items. When circles overlap, they share a certain characteristic but those that do not overlap means that they don’t share any commonality. Each circle is typically with a description of what category it represents.
It is used to represent the similarities and differences in a visual manner among different objects, groups or concepts. It is widely used in the realm of education as a helpful tool. It has also been used across the globe since the midst in the early 20th century at elementary levels as an essential component of the curriculum for logic.
The diagram was popularized by John Venn, an English logician in the 1880s. Similar diagrams were invented in the early 1700s by Leonard Euler, a Swiss mathematician who referred to them as Eulerian circles. This being said, the word was not widely used until Clarence Lewis, an academic philosopher and conceptual pragmatism pioneer who used the term in 1918. The term was used to refer to the circular illustration in the book he wrote, titled “A Survey of Symbolic Logic.”
What Is the Purpose and Benefits of the Venn Diagram?
It is a popular Venn diagram is utilized often across the globe of academia. Teachers in schools utilize this tool to teach mathematical concepts such sets, intersections, and unions. At higher mathematics the tool is also used to tackle complicated problems. You can also easily find diagrams related to statistics, particularly predictive analytics.
In addition to mathematics-related disciplines, it is also used to study similarities and differences between various languages. In the world of business it is utilized to present comparisons of products or services and everything else relevant.
Here’s the explanation of how the diagram can accomplish:
- Visually organize information to find connections (similarities in addition to differences) between different sets of items.
- – No matter the level of complexity show the logic behind particular concepts and provide visual communication to show the connection between them.
- If you’re deciding on what goods or services to purchase, compare several options and be able to clearly discern the similarities and differences between them.
- Solve a variety of mathematical problems.
- Analyze the data set, identify correlations, and evaluate the probabilities of events.
- Reason logic that is used to support equations or statements as well as an approach to grouping.
One of the main reasons for why one of the main reasons why Venn diagram can be so powerful and well-known is because of its simplicity. This tool allows you to analyze things and determine the areas where they intersect and differ, and serve as a visual representation of the connection. Alongside pie charts, bar graphs, quadrant charts flow charts and a myriad of other tools to visualize data They provide a powerful method of presenting your data, or aid in the method of thinking.
FREE Venn Diagram Template For Word, Powerpoint & PDF
Venn Diagram Symbols Meaning
- ∪ >> Union of Two Sets. The union of two sets is represented by a full Venn diagram.
- ∩ >> Intersection of Two Sets. The intersection of two categories reveals which things are shared between them.
- Ac >> Complement of a Set. Whatever is not represented in a set is referred to as the complement.