The Definition and the Uses of Venn Diagram
Free Venn Diagram Template – Most likely, you’ve been exposed to or encountered the Venn diagram earlier. Anyone who has studied Mathematics in particular Algebra and Probability, must be familiar with this figure. This is an image aid used to illustrate the relationship between various items. Learn more about this commonly employed diagram in different fields and fields below.
What Is a Venn Diagram?
Venn diagrams are Venn diagram is a sketch of circles that overlap to show the relationship between objects or groups. When circles overlap, they share certain characteristics, while those who don’t overlap means that they don’t share a commonality. Each circle is usually is accompanied by a brief description of the subject matter it is a part of.
It’s used to illustrate similarities and differences in a visual way among different objects, groups, or concepts. It is widely used in the educational field as a valuable tool. It’s also been used across the globe since the middle during the latter half of 20th Century at elementary educational levels, and also as a vital part of the logic curriculum.
The diagram was popularized via John Venn, an English logician, during the 1880s. Similar diagrams were invented in the late 1700s by Leonard Euler, a Swiss mathematician who referred to them as Eulerian circles. The word was not widely used up until Clarence Lewis, an academic philosopher and conceptual pragmatism’s founder employed the term in 1918. In 1918, the term was used to refer to a circular illustration in his book called “A Survey of Symbolic Logic.”
What Is the Purpose and Benefits of the Venn Diagram?
It is a popular Venn diagram is employed a lot across the globe of academia. Teachers at schools use the diagram for teaching mathematical principles such intersections, sets, and unions. At higher mathematics it can also be used to solve difficult problems. You can also easily find diagrams related to statistics, specifically predictive analytics.
In addition to mathematics-related disciplines, it is also used to examine the similarities and distinctions between different languages. In business it is used to present comparisons of products as well as services. It is also used to display any other information applicable.
Here’s a outline of the diagram’s capabilities: can accomplish:
- Visually organize information in order to search for relationships (similarities in addition to differences) between item sets.
- Regardless of complexity level show the logic behind specific concepts, and use visual representation to demonstrate the relation between them.
- When deciding what products or services to buy take the time to compare different options and easily discern the similarities and differences among them.
- Solve a variety of mathematical problems.
- Analyze data sets, find correlations and determine the probability of certain events.
- Reason logic that supports equations or statements and groups.
One of the major reasons that Venn diagrams are so effective and popular Venn diagram can be so effective and well-known is due to its simplicity. This tool allows you to analyze things and determine the areas where they intersect and differ, and serve as visual representation of the relation. Along with pie charts, bar graphs, quadrant charts as well as flow charts and other tools for visualizing data are a good way to present your data, or aid in the process of thinking.
FREE Venn Diagram Template For Word, Powerpoint & PDF
Venn Diagram Symbols Meaning
- ∪ >> Union of Two Sets. The union of two sets is represented by a full Venn diagram.
- ∩ >> Intersection of Two Sets. The intersection of two categories reveals which things are shared between them.
- Ac >> Complement of a Set. Whatever is not represented in a set is referred to as the complement.