The Definition and the Uses of Venn Diagram
Sql Venn Diagram – It is likely that you have seen or read about a Venn diagram before. Anyone who has attended Mathematics specifically Algebra and Probability, must be familiar with this image. Visual aid used to illustrate the relationship between various items. Learn more about this commonly utilized diagram in various areas and fields below.
What Is a Venn Diagram?
An Venn diagram is a sketch of circles that overlap to show the relationship between objects or groups. When circles overlap, they share certain characteristics but those that do not overlap, means they don’t share any commonality. Each circle is typically with a description of what it’s representing in terms of.
It’s used to illustrate differentiators and similarities in a visual way between different things, groups, or concepts. It is often used in the field of education as a tool that can be useful. It’s also been used all over the world from the beginning of the 20th century at elementary levels as an essential element of the logic curriculum.
The diagram was popularised via John Venn, an English logician during the 1880s. Similar diagrams were designed in the late 1700s by Leonard Euler, a Swiss mathematician who referred to them as Eulerian circles. That being said, the term was not used before Clarence Lewis, an academic philosopher and conceptual pragmatism’s founder, utilized the term in 1918. At that time, it was used to refer to an illustration of a circle in the book he wrote, titled “A Survey of Symbolic Logic.”
What Is the Purpose and Benefits of the Venn Diagram?
The Venn diagram is employed a lot in the academic world. Teachers at the school use the tool to help teach mathematic concepts like sets, intersections, and unions. At higher levels of mathematics the tool is also used to tackle complicated problems. It is also possible to find diagrams related to statistics, particularly predictive analytics.
Outside of mathematics-related disciplines, it is also used to study similarities and differences between various languages. In the business world it is utilized to display comparisons of products or services as well as anything else that is relevant.
Here is the breakdown of what the diagram can accomplish:
- Visually organize information in order to look for connections (similarities in addition to differences) between sets of items.
- In spite of their complexity show the logic behind specific concepts, and use visual communication to show the connections between them.
- When deciding what products or services you want to purchase consider comparing different options to be able to clearly discern the similarities and distinctions between them.
- Solve various mathematical problems.
- Analyze data sets, discover correlations, and assess the probability of certain events.
- Reason logic that is used to support equations or statements, as well as how to group.
One of the major reasons one of the main reasons why Venn diagram has become so powerful and popular is its simplicity. This tool allows you to look at things in a different way, determine those areas that overlap or separate and also serve as a visual representation of the connection. Alongside pie charts, bar graphs, quadrant charts, flow charts, and a myriad of other tools to visualize data are a good method of presenting your data, or aid in the process of thinking.
FREE Venn Diagram Template For Word, Powerpoint & PDF
Venn Diagram Symbols Meaning
- ∪ >> Union of Two Sets. The union of two sets is represented by a full Venn diagram.
- ∩ >> Intersection of Two Sets. The intersection of two categories reveals which things are shared between them.
- Ac >> Complement of a Set. Whatever is not represented in a set is referred to as the complement.