The Definition and the Uses of Venn Diagram
Three Ring Venn Diagram Printable – You have most likely seen or read about the Venn diagram earlier. Anyone who has attended Mathematics particularly Algebra and Probability, must have a good understanding of this figure. Visual tool that is used to show the relationship between a set of items. Find out more about this widely employed diagram in different fields and fields below.
What Is a Venn Diagram?
A Venn diagram is a sketch of circles that are overlapping to illustrate the connections between items or groups of items. When circles overlap, they share a certain characteristic and those that don’t overlap, means they don’t share any commonality. Each circle is typically is accompanied by a brief description of what category it represents.
It is used to represent the similarities and differences visually among different objects, groups or concepts. It is widely used in the field of education as a helpful tool. It’s also been used around the world since the middle during the latter half of 20th Century, at the elementary level and as an integral part of the logic curriculum.
The diagram was popularised in the 1880s by John Venn, an English logician in the 1880s. Similar diagrams were developed in the late 1700s by Leonard Euler, a Swiss mathematician who referred to them as Eulerian circles. That being said, the word was not widely used before Clarence Lewis, an academic philosopher and conceptual pragmatism founder employed the term in 1918. At that time, it was used to refer to the circular illustration in the book he wrote, called “A Survey of Symbolic Logic.”
What Is the Purpose and Benefits of the Venn Diagram?
It is a popular Venn diagram is utilized frequently within the world of academics. Teachers in the school utilized the tool for teaching mathematical principles like sets, intersections, and unions. When it comes to more advanced maths it can also be used to solve complicated problems. It is also possible to find diagrams in the field of statistics, especially predictive analytics.
Apart from mathematics-related disciplines it is also used to research the similarities and the differences between various languages. In business, it is used to display comparisons of products, services, and anything that is relevant.
Here’s a description of how the diagram will be able to do:
- Visually organize data in order to identify relationships (similarities and differences) between items.
- Regardless of the complexity level, display the logic of specific concepts, and use visual representation to demonstrate the connection between them.
- When you are deciding on which products or services you want to purchase, compare several options and be able to clearly discern the similarities and differences between them.
- Solve a range of mathematical problems.
- Analyze data sets, find correlations and determine the probability of certain events.
- Reason logic that supports equations or statements as well as an approach to grouping.
One of the biggest reasons Venn diagrams are so effective and popular Venn diagram is effective and popular is its simplicity. It allows you to examine things, find out places where they are in conflict and where they separate and serves as an illustration of the relation. Along with pie charts, quadrant charts, bar graphs flow charts as well as a variety of other tools for data visualization They provide a powerful method of presenting your data and aid the process of thinking.
FREE Venn Diagram Template For Word, Powerpoint & PDF
Venn Diagram Symbols Meaning
- ∪ >> Union of Two Sets. The union of two sets is represented by a full Venn diagram.
- ∩ >> Intersection of Two Sets. The intersection of two categories reveals which things are shared between them.
- Ac >> Complement of a Set. Whatever is not represented in a set is referred to as the complement.