The Definition and the Uses of Venn Diagram
Triple Venn Diagram Template Printable – Most likely, you’ve read about or encountered an Venn diagram before. Anyone who’s attended Mathematics, especially Algebra and Probability, must have a good understanding of this figure. It is a visual tool used to illustrate the relationship between a set of items. Learn more about this often utilized diagram in various areas and fields below.
What Is a Venn Diagram?
An Venn diagram is a diagram of overlapping circles in order to show the connections between items or groups. Overlapping circles mean that they have a commonality but those that do not overlap means that they don’t share any commonality. Each circle is typically accompanied by informational text about the category it belongs to.
It is used to represent differentiators and similarities in a visual way between different things, groups, or concepts. It is frequently used in the realm of education as a valuable tool. It has also been utilized around the world from the beginning during the latter half of 20th Century at the elementary level and as a vital element of the logic curriculum.
The diagram was popularised through John Venn, an English logician in the 1880s. Similar diagrams were developed in the 1700s by Leonard Euler, a Swiss mathematician. He referred to them as Eulerian circles. However, the word was not widely used until Clarence Lewis, an academic philosopher and conceptualist who founded pragmatism, utilized the term in 1918. At the time, it was used to describe an illustration of a circle in his book, which was titled “A Survey of Symbolic Logic.”
What Is the Purpose and Benefits of the Venn Diagram?
It is a popular Venn diagram is utilized a lot across the globe of academia. Teachers at schools use the diagram for teaching mathematical principles like sets, intersections, and unions. At higher mathematical levels, it is also employed to tackle complicated problems. It is also possible to find diagrams related to statistics, specifically predictive analytics.
Apart from mathematics-related disciplines it is also used to study similarities and differences between different languages. In business it is used to display comparisons of products or services as well as anything else pertinent.
Here’s a explanation of how the diagram will be able to do:
- Visually organize data to search for relationships (similarities or differences) between different sets of items.
- In spite of their complexity regardless of complexity level, show the logic behind particular concepts. They also serve as visual communication to illustrate the relationship between them.
- When you are deciding on which products or services you want to purchase, compare several options and be able to clearly discern the similarities and differences between them.
- Solve a variety of mathematical problems.
- Analyze data sets, discover correlations, and assess the probability of particular events.
- Reason logic that supports equations or statements, and the process of grouping.
One of the major reasons for why one of the main reasons why Venn diagram is so powerful and popular is because of its simplicity. This tool lets you compare things, identify the areas where they intersect and differ and provide a visual representation of the relationship. Along with pie charts, quadrant charts, bar graphs, flow charts, and other tools to visualize data are a good method of presenting your data or help with the process of thinking.
FREE Venn Diagram Template For Word, Powerpoint & PDF
Venn Diagram Symbols Meaning
- ∪ >> Union of Two Sets. The union of two sets is represented by a full Venn diagram.
- ∩ >> Intersection of Two Sets. The intersection of two categories reveals which things are shared between them.
- Ac >> Complement of a Set. Whatever is not represented in a set is referred to as the complement.