The Definition and the Uses of Venn Diagram
Venn Diagram Excel – You have most likely been exposed to or encountered an Venn diagram earlier. Anyone who’s attended Mathematics in particular Algebra and Probability, must have a good understanding of this image. It is a visual aid that illustrates the relation between a collection of objects. Find out more about this frequently employed diagram in different fields and fields below.
What Is a Venn Diagram?
An Venn diagram is a drawing of overlapping circles in order to show the relationship between objects as well as groups. Overlapping circles mean that they have a commonality and those that don’t overlap mean that they don’t share a commonality. Each circle is typically is accompanied by a brief description of what it’s representing in terms of.
It is used to represent similarities and differences in a visual way between groups, things or concepts. It is often used in the educational field as a tool that can be useful. It has also been used throughout the world in the early part in the early 20th century at the elementary level and as an essential component of the curriculum for logic.
The diagram was popularized in the 1880s by John Venn, an English logician in the 1880s. Similar diagrams were developed in the late 1700s in the 1700s by Leonard Euler, a Swiss mathematician. He referred to them as Eulerian circles. That being said, the term was not popular until Clarence Lewis, an academic philosopher and conceptualist who founded pragmatism used it in 1918. At the time, it was used to describe the circular illustration in his book named “A Survey of Symbolic Logic.”
What Is the Purpose and Benefits of the Venn Diagram?
It is a popular Venn diagram is used frequently in the academic world. Teachers in schools utilize the tool to teach mathematical concepts such intersections, sets and unions. At higher mathematics the tool is also used to solve complicated problems. You can also easily find diagrams that pertain to statistics, especially predictive analytics.
In addition to mathematics-related disciplines, it is also utilized to research the similarities and the differences between various languages. In business it is used to display comparisons of products or services as well as anything else relevant.
Here is the breakdown of what the diagram will be able to do:
- Visually organize information to find connections (similarities or differences) between items.
- Regardless of the complexity level show the logic behind particular concepts. They also serve as visual communication to show the connection between them.
- When deciding what products or services to purchase, compare several options and be able to clearly discern the similarities and differences between them.
- Solve a variety of mathematical problems.
- Analyze data sets to uncover correlations, and then evaluate the probabilities of events.
- Reason logic that is used to support equations or statements, and an approach to grouping.
One of the major reasons Venn diagrams are so effective and popular Venn diagram is so effective and popular is because of its ease of use. It allows you to analyze things and determine those areas that overlap or separate and serves as visual representation of the relationship. Along with pie charts, quadrant charts, bar graphs flow charts, as well as a variety of other tools for data visualization offer a great way to display your data or help with the method of thinking.
FREE Venn Diagram Template For Word, Powerpoint & PDF
Venn Diagram Symbols Meaning
- ∪ >> Union of Two Sets. The union of two sets is represented by a full Venn diagram.
- ∩ >> Intersection of Two Sets. The intersection of two categories reveals which things are shared between them.
- Ac >> Complement of a Set. Whatever is not represented in a set is referred to as the complement.