The Definition and the Uses of Venn Diagram
Venn Diagram Fillable Pdf – It is likely that you have seen or read about a Venn diagram before. Anyone who has attended Mathematics in particular Algebra and Probability, must be already familiar with this diagram. The diagram is visual tool that shows the relationship between a collection of objects. Learn more about this often used diagram in different areas and fields below.
What Is a Venn Diagram?
An Venn diagram is a drawing of circles that are overlapping to illustrate the interrelationships between different items as well as groups. The overlap of circles indicates that they share certain characteristics, while those who don’t overlap, means they don’t have any similarities. Each circle is usually with a description of the category it belongs to.
It is used to represent the similarities and differences in a visual manner between various things, groups, or concepts. It is frequently used in the field of education as a valuable tool. It’s also been used throughout the world since the middle of the 20th century at primary educational levels and as an essential part of the logic curriculum.
The diagram was popularised through John Venn, an English logician during the 1880s. Similar diagrams were created in the 17th century from Leonard Euler, a Swiss mathematician, who named them Eulerian circles. This being said, the term was not used up until Clarence Lewis, an academic philosopher and conceptual pragmatism pioneer used it in 1918. The term was used to refer to the circular illustration in his book, which was called “A Survey of Symbolic Logic.”
What Is the Purpose and Benefits of the Venn Diagram?
It is a popular Venn diagram is used often within the world of academics. Teachers in the school utilized this tool to help teach mathematic concepts like sets, intersections, and unions. When it comes to more advanced mathematical levels it’s also used to tackle problems that are difficult. You can also easily find diagrams within the field of statistics, specifically predictive analytics.
Apart from mathematics-related disciplines it is also utilized to analyze the similarities and differences between different languages. In business, it is used to present comparisons of products or services and everything else pertinent.
Here’s the breakdown of what the diagram can do:
- Visually organize information to search for relationships (similarities and differences) between different sets of items.
- In spite of their complexity show the logic behind particular concepts and provide visual representation to demonstrate the relationship between them.
- When deciding what products or services to purchase consider comparing different options to easily discern the similarities and differences among them.
- Solve various mathematical problems.
- Analyze data sets, discover correlations, and assess the probabilities of events.
- Reason logic that is used to support equations or statements and an approach to grouping.
One of the primary reasons that one of the main reasons why Venn diagram is so effective and popular is its simplicity. It allows you to look at things in a different way, determine places where they are in conflict and where they separate and also serve as an illustration of the relation. Along with pie charts, quadrant charts, bar graphs flow charts, and a myriad of other tools for visualizing data, they provide an effective way to display your data and aid the process of thinking.
FREE Venn Diagram Template For Word, Powerpoint & PDF
Venn Diagram Symbols Meaning
- ∪ >> Union of Two Sets. The union of two sets is represented by a full Venn diagram.
- ∩ >> Intersection of Two Sets. The intersection of two categories reveals which things are shared between them.
- Ac >> Complement of a Set. Whatever is not represented in a set is referred to as the complement.