The Definition and the Uses of Venn Diagram
Venn Diagram Free Powerpoint Template – You have most likely been exposed to or encountered the Venn diagram earlier. Anyone who has attended Mathematics particularly Algebra and Probability, must be already familiar with this diagram. The diagram is visual tool used to illustrate the relationship between various items. Learn more about this commonly employed diagram in different fields and fields below.
What Is a Venn Diagram?
The Venn diagram is an illustration of overlapping circles to demonstrate the interrelationships between different items and groups. When circles overlap, they have a commonality, while those who don’t overlap mean that they don’t have any similarities. Each circle is typically is accompanied by a brief description of what it’s representing in terms of.
It is used to represent the similarities and differences visually between groups, things or concepts. It is widely used in the education field as a helpful tool. It has also been utilized around the world since the midst of the 20th century, at elementary educational levels, and also as a vital part of the logic curriculum.
The diagram was popularized through John Venn, an English logician during the 1880s. Similar diagrams were created in the 1700s through Leonard Euler, a Swiss mathematician who referred to them as Eulerian circles. This being said, the word was not widely used for a long time until Clarence Lewis, an academic philosopher and conceptual pragmatism pioneer used the term in 1918. At that time, it was used to describe an illustration that was circular in his book called “A Survey of Symbolic Logic.”
What Is the Purpose and Benefits of the Venn Diagram?
It is a popular Venn diagram is used extensively throughout the educational world. Teachers at the school use the device to help teach mathematic concepts, such as intersections, sets, and unions. When it comes to more advanced mathematical levels it can also be used to tackle problems that are difficult. You can also find diagrams within the field of statistics, especially predictive analytics.
Beyond mathematics-related fields, it is also utilized to study similarities and differences between various languages. In the world of business it is utilized to show comparisons between products as well as services. It is also used to display any other information pertinent.
Here’s a explanation of how the diagram will be able to do:
- Visually organize information in order to look for connections (similarities or differences) between different sets of items.
- Regardless of complexity level It will show the logic of specific concepts and serve visual communication to show the connection between them.
- When deciding what products or services you want to purchase take the time to compare different options and clearly see the similarities and distinctions between them.
- Solve a variety of mathematical problems.
- Analyze the data set, uncover correlations, and then evaluate the likelihood of specific events.
- Reason logic that supports equations or statements, as well as an approach to grouping.
One of the biggest reasons that the Venn diagram is powerful and so popular is because of its simplicity. It allows you to compare things, identify the areas where they intersect and differ and also serve as a visual representation of the connection. Alongside pie charts, quadrant charts, bar graphs flow charts as well as a variety of other tools for visualizing data, they provide an effective way to display your data, or aid in the method of thinking.
FREE Venn Diagram Template For Word, Powerpoint & PDF
Venn Diagram Symbols Meaning
- ∪ >> Union of Two Sets. The union of two sets is represented by a full Venn diagram.
- ∩ >> Intersection of Two Sets. The intersection of two categories reveals which things are shared between them.
- Ac >> Complement of a Set. Whatever is not represented in a set is referred to as the complement.