The Definition and the Uses of Venn Diagram
Venn Diagram In Word Template – It is likely that you have read about or encountered a Venn diagram before. Anyone who has studied Mathematics, especially Algebra and Probability, must have a good understanding of this image. Visual aid that shows the relationship between various items. Find out more about this frequently utilized diagram in various areas and fields below.
What Is a Venn Diagram?
The Venn diagram is an illustration of overlapping circles to demonstrate the connections between items and groups. Overlapping circles mean that they have a commonality but those that do not overlap indicate that they do not share a commonality. Each circle is typically with a description of what it’s representing in terms of.
It can be used to show differentiators and similarities in a visual way between groups, things, or concepts. It is commonly found in the education field as a helpful tool. It has also been used throughout the world in the early part in the early 20th century, at elementary levels as an essential element of the logic curriculum.
The diagram was popularised in the 1880s by John Venn, an English logician during the 1880s. Similar diagrams were created in the 17th century in the 1700s by Leonard Euler, a Swiss mathematician who referred to them as Eulerian circles. That being said, the word was not widely used before Clarence Lewis, an academic philosopher and conceptual pragmatism founder employed it in 1918. At that time, it was used to describe an illustration of a circle in his book, which was entitled “A Survey of Symbolic Logic.”
What Is the Purpose and Benefits of the Venn Diagram?
It is a popular Venn diagram is utilized often in the academic world. Teachers at the school use the diagram to teach mathematical concepts like sets, intersections, and unions. At higher maths it can also be used to solve problems that are complex. There are also diagrams related to statistics, particularly predictive analytics.
Apart from mathematics-related disciplines it can also be used to examine the similarities and distinctions between different languages. In the business world, it is used to show comparisons between products as well as services. It is also used to display any other information applicable.
Here’s a breakdown of what the diagram can do:
- Visually organize information in order to identify relationships (similarities in addition to differences) between item sets.
- In spite of their complexity regardless of complexity level, show the logic behind specific concepts, and use visual communication to illustrate the connections between them.
- If you’re deciding on what goods or services to purchase, compare several options and clearly see the similarities and differences among them.
- Solve many mathematical problems.
- Analyze data sets, identify correlations, and evaluate the likelihood of specific events.
- – Reason logic which supports equations or statements, as well as the process of grouping.
One of the primary reasons the Venn diagram is so powerful and popular is because of its ease of use. It allows you to examine things, find out those areas that overlap or separate and also serve as an illustration of the relation. Along with pie charts bar graphs, quadrant charts flow charts, and many other tools to visualize data, they provide an effective way to display your data or help with the process of thinking.
FREE Venn Diagram Template For Word, Powerpoint & PDF
Venn Diagram Symbols Meaning
- ∪ >> Union of Two Sets. The union of two sets is represented by a full Venn diagram.
- ∩ >> Intersection of Two Sets. The intersection of two categories reveals which things are shared between them.
- Ac >> Complement of a Set. Whatever is not represented in a set is referred to as the complement.