The Definition and the Uses of Venn Diagram
Venn Diagram Microsoft Word – It is likely that you have seen or read about an Venn diagram before. Anyone who has taken Mathematics, especially Algebra and Probability, must be already familiar with the Venn diagram. The diagram is visual tool that shows the relationship between a collection of objects. Learn more about this commonly employed diagram in different fields and fields below.
What Is a Venn Diagram?
A Venn diagram is a diagram of circles that overlap to show the relationship between objects and groups. The overlap of circles indicates that they share a certain characteristic but those that do not overlap mean that they don’t have commonality. Each circle is usually with a description of the category it belongs to.
It’s used to illustrate the similarities and differences in a visual manner between various things, groups, or concepts. It is frequently used in the realm of education as a tool that can be useful. It’s been in use across the globe from the beginning decades of the twentieth century at elementary educational levels, and also as an integral component of the curriculum for logic.
The diagram was popularized via John Venn, an English logician, during the 1880s. Similar diagrams were developed in the 17th century in the 1700s by Leonard Euler, a Swiss mathematician who referred to them as Eulerian circles. However, the term wasn’t used before Clarence Lewis, an academic philosopher and conceptual pragmatism pioneer who used the term in 1918. The term was used to describe an illustration of a circle in the book he wrote, entitled “A Survey of Symbolic Logic.”
What Is the Purpose and Benefits of the Venn Diagram?
It is a popular Venn diagram is utilized a lot in the academic world. Teachers in the school utilized the diagram to teach mathematical concepts like sets, intersections and unions. In more advanced mathematics the tool is also used to tackle problems that are difficult. It is also possible to find diagrams that pertain to statistics, particularly predictive analytics.
Outside of mathematics-related disciplines, it is also used to research the similarities and the differences between different languages. In the business world it is used to compare products or services and everything else pertinent.
Here’s a description of how the diagram could do:
- Visually organize information in order to look for connections (similarities as well as differences) between items.
- – No matter the level of complexity show the logic behind particular concepts and provide visual communication to illustrate the connection between them.
- When deciding what products or services to purchase take the time to compare different options and be able to clearly discern the similarities and distinctions between them.
- Solve many mathematical problems.
- Analyze data sets, discover correlations, and assess the likelihood of specific events.
- Reason logic that supports equations or statements as well as the process of grouping.
One of the primary reasons that the Venn diagram has become so powerful and well-known is because of its simplicity. This tool lets you look at things in a different way, determine the areas where they intersect and differ and provide visual representation of the relationship. Alongside pie charts, quadrant charts, bar graphs, flow charts, and many other tools for data visualization offer a great method of presenting your data or help with the method of thinking.
FREE Venn Diagram Template For Word, Powerpoint & PDF
Venn Diagram Symbols Meaning
- ∪ >> Union of Two Sets. The union of two sets is represented by a full Venn diagram.
- ∩ >> Intersection of Two Sets. The intersection of two categories reveals which things are shared between them.
- Ac >> Complement of a Set. Whatever is not represented in a set is referred to as the complement.