The Definition and the Uses of Venn Diagram
Venn Diagram Online Tool – Most likely, you’ve read about or encountered the Venn diagram earlier. Anyone who has taken Mathematics specifically Algebra and Probability, must be familiar with the Venn diagram. The diagram is visual tool that shows the relationship between two items. Learn more about this often used diagram in different areas and fields below.
What Is a Venn Diagram?
A Venn diagram is a diagram of circles that are overlapping to illustrate the relationship between objects and groups. In the event that two circles overlap, they share certain characteristics, while those who don’t overlap mean that they don’t share any commonality. Each circle is usually is accompanied by a brief description of what category it represents.
It can be used to show differentiators and similarities in a visual manner between groups, things or concepts. It is widely used in the field of education as a valuable tool. It’s been in use all over the world since the middle decades of the twentieth century, at primary educational levels and as an essential part of the logic curriculum.
The diagram was popularized by John Venn, an English logician, during the 1880s. Similar diagrams were invented in the late 1700s through Leonard Euler, a Swiss mathematician who referred to them as Eulerian circles. The word was not widely used before Clarence Lewis, an academic philosopher and conceptualist who founded pragmatism employed the term in 1918. In 1918, the term was used to describe the circular illustration in his book named “A Survey of Symbolic Logic.”
What Is the Purpose and Benefits of the Venn Diagram?
It is a popular Venn diagram is employed a lot across the globe of academia. Teachers at the school use the device in teaching math concepts such as sets, intersections and unions. When it comes to more advanced maths it can also be used to solve complicated problems. There are also diagrams related to statistics, especially predictive analytics.
Apart from mathematics-related disciplines it is also used to analyze the similarities and differences between various languages. In the business world it is utilized to display comparisons of products or services and everything else that is relevant.
Here’s a outline of the diagram’s capabilities: will be able to do:
- Visually organize information to look for connections (similarities and differences) between sets of items.
- Regardless of the complexity level, display the logic of specific concepts and serve visual aids to show the connection between them.
- When deciding what products or services you want to purchase take the time to compare different options and easily discern the similarities and differences between them.
- Solve many mathematical problems.
- Analyze the data set, discover correlations, and assess the probability of particular events.
- Reason logic that is used to support equations or statements, and an approach to grouping.
One of the biggest reasons that the Venn diagram is effective and well-known is because of its simplicity. It allows you to compare things, identify places where they are in conflict and where they separate and serves as an image representation of the relationship. Along with pie charts, quadrant charts, bar graphs flow charts, and many other tools to visualize data, they provide an effective method to display your data or help with the method of thinking.
FREE Venn Diagram Template For Word, Powerpoint & PDF
Venn Diagram Symbols Meaning
- ∪ >> Union of Two Sets. The union of two sets is represented by a full Venn diagram.
- ∩ >> Intersection of Two Sets. The intersection of two categories reveals which things are shared between them.
- Ac >> Complement of a Set. Whatever is not represented in a set is referred to as the complement.