The Definition and the Uses of Venn Diagram
Venn Diagram Online – You’ve probably read about or encountered a Venn diagram prior to. Anyone who has taken Mathematics specifically Algebra and Probability, must be familiar with this figure. The diagram is visual tool that is used to show the relationship between a set of items. Learn more about this commonly utilized diagram across various fields and fields below.
What Is a Venn Diagram?
A Venn diagram is a diagram of overlapping circles to demonstrate the relationships between items and groups. Overlapping circles mean that they share a certain characteristic, while those who don’t overlap indicate that they do not share any commonality. Each circle is usually accompanied by informational text about what it’s representing in terms of.
It can be used to show the differences and similarities visually among different objects, groups or concepts. It is widely used in the field of education as a valuable tool. It’s also been used around the world since the midst during the latter half of 20th Century, at elementary educational levels, and also as an essential part of the logic curriculum.
The diagram was popularised via John Venn, an English logician during the 1880s. Similar diagrams were designed in the early 1700s through Leonard Euler, a Swiss mathematician. He referred to them as Eulerian circles. The term wasn’t used up until Clarence Lewis, an academic philosopher and conceptual pragmatism pioneer who used the term in 1918. The term was used to refer to the circular illustration in his book named “A Survey of Symbolic Logic.”
What Is the Purpose and Benefits of the Venn Diagram?
It is a popular Venn diagram is used a lot across the globe of academia. Teachers in schools utilize the diagram in teaching math concepts like sets, intersections, and unions. For more advanced maths the tool is also used to solve difficult problems. You can also find diagrams within the field of statistics, particularly predictive analytics.
Outside of mathematics-related disciplines, it is also used to analyze the similarities and differences between various languages. In business it is utilized to display comparisons of products as well as services. It is also used to display any other information pertinent.
Here’s the explanation of how the diagram could do:
- Visually organize information in order to identify relationships (similarities or differences) between items.
- Regardless of complexity level It will show the logic of particular concepts. They also serve as visual aids to show the relation between them.
- When you are deciding on which products or services you want to purchase, compare several options and easily discern the similarities and differences among them.
- Solve a variety of mathematical problems.
- Analyze data sets, uncover correlations, and then evaluate the probability of certain events.
- Reason logic that supports equations or statements and groups.
One of the biggest reasons that the Venn diagram can be so effective and well-known is because of its simplicity. It lets you analyze things and determine places where they are in conflict and where they separate and also serve as a visual representation of the relation. Alongside pie charts, bar graphs, quadrant charts, flow charts, as well as a variety of other tools for data visualization, they provide an effective way to present your data and aid the process of thinking.
FREE Venn Diagram Template For Word, Powerpoint & PDF
Venn Diagram Symbols Meaning
- ∪ >> Union of Two Sets. The union of two sets is represented by a full Venn diagram.
- ∩ >> Intersection of Two Sets. The intersection of two categories reveals which things are shared between them.
- Ac >> Complement of a Set. Whatever is not represented in a set is referred to as the complement.