The Definition and the Uses of Venn Diagram
Venn Diagram Pdf Template – Most likely, you’ve seen or read about an Venn diagram in the past. Anyone who has attended Mathematics in particular Algebra and Probability, must have a good understanding of this image. It is a visual aid used to illustrate the relationship between various items. Learn more about this commonly employed diagram in different fields and fields below.
What Is a Venn Diagram?
An Venn diagram is an illustration of overlapping circles in order to show the connections between items or groups. The overlap of circles indicates that they have a commonality and those that don’t overlap means that they don’t have any similarities. Each circle is usually is accompanied by a brief description of the category it belongs to.
It is used to represent the differences and similarities visually between groups, things or concepts. It is often used in the education field as a helpful tool. It’s been in use all over the world in the early part of the 20th century, at elementary levels as a vital element of the logic curriculum.
The diagram was popularised by John Venn, an English logician from the 1880s. Similar diagrams were designed in the late 1700s in the 1700s by Leonard Euler, a Swiss mathematician. He referred to them as Eulerian circles. That being said, the term wasn’t used up until Clarence Lewis, an academic philosopher and conceptual pragmatism pioneer used it in 1918. At the time, it was used to describe the circular illustration in the book he wrote, named “A Survey of Symbolic Logic.”
What Is the Purpose and Benefits of the Venn Diagram?
The Venn diagram is utilized extensively in the academic world. Teachers at schools use the device for teaching mathematical principles such sets, intersections and unions. For more advanced maths, it is also employed to solve problems that are complex. You can also easily find diagrams that pertain to statistics, specifically predictive analytics.
In addition to mathematics-related disciplines, it can also be used to analyze the similarities and differences between various languages. In the business world it is utilized to display comparisons of products, services, and anything applicable.
Here’s a description of how the diagram can do:
- Visually organize information to search for relationships (similarities as well as differences) between different sets of items.
- – No matter the level of complexity show the logic behind particular concepts and provide visual representation to demonstrate the relation between them.
- When you are deciding on which products or services to buy, compare several options and be able to clearly discern the similarities and differences among them.
- Solve a range of mathematical problems.
- Analyze data sets, uncover correlations, and then evaluate the probability of particular events.
- Reason logic that supports equations or statements, as well as an approach to grouping.
One of the biggest reasons one of the main reasons why Venn diagram is so effective and popular is its simplicity. This tool allows you to compare things, identify where they overlap and separate and provide an image representation of the relation. Alongside pie charts, bar graphs, quadrant charts as well as flow charts as well as a variety of other tools for data visualization offer a great way to display your data or help with the process of thinking.
FREE Venn Diagram Template For Word, Powerpoint & PDF
Venn Diagram Symbols Meaning
- ∪ >> Union of Two Sets. The union of two sets is represented by a full Venn diagram.
- ∩ >> Intersection of Two Sets. The intersection of two categories reveals which things are shared between them.
- Ac >> Complement of a Set. Whatever is not represented in a set is referred to as the complement.