The Definition and the Uses of Venn Diagram
Venn Diagram Powerpoint – Most likely, you’ve seen or read about a Venn diagram earlier. Anyone who has studied Mathematics, especially Algebra and Probability, must be already familiar with this diagram. The diagram is visual aid used to illustrate the relationship between two items. Find out more about this frequently employed diagram in different fields and fields below.
What Is a Venn Diagram?
An Venn diagram is an illustration of circles that overlap to show the relationship between objects or groups of items. In the event that two circles overlap, they share a certain characteristic but those that do not overlap, means they don’t share a commonality. Each circle is usually is accompanied by a brief description of the category it belongs to.
It’s used to depict differentiators and similarities visually between groups, things or concepts. It is frequently used in the realm of education as a useful tool. It has also been used around the world since the middle of the 20th century, at elementary educational levels, and also as a vital part of the logic curriculum.
The diagram was popularised through John Venn, an English logician during the 1880s. Similar diagrams were invented in the 1700s by Leonard Euler, a Swiss mathematician, who called them Eulerian circles. This being said, the term wasn’t used for a long time until Clarence Lewis, an academic philosopher and conceptual pragmatism founder who used it in 1918. In 1918, the term was used to refer to a circular illustration in his book called “A Survey of Symbolic Logic.”
What Is the Purpose and Benefits of the Venn Diagram?
It is a popular Venn diagram is employed often in the academic world. Teachers at the school use this tool in teaching math concepts, such as sets, intersections and unions. When it comes to more advanced mathematical levels it’s also used to tackle problems that are complex. You can also easily find diagrams that pertain to statistics, especially predictive analytics.
In addition to mathematics-related disciplines, it is also utilized to research the similarities and the differences between different languages. In the world of business, it is used to present comparisons of products, services, and anything relevant.
Here’s a description of how the diagram will be able to do:
- Visually organize information to find connections (similarities in addition to differences) between different sets of items.
- Regardless of complexity level show the logic behind specific concepts and serve visual communication to show the connection between them.
- If you’re deciding on what goods or services to purchase look at a variety of options and be able to clearly discern the similarities and distinctions between them.
- Solve various mathematical problems.
- Analyze the data set, discover correlations, and assess the probabilities of events.
- Reason logic that is used to support equations or statements and how to group.
One of the primary reasons why it is that the Venn diagram has become so effective and so popular is because of its simplicity. This tool allows you to look at things in a different way, determine the areas where they intersect and differ, and serve as an illustration of the relationship. Alongside pie charts, bar graphs, quadrant charts flow charts and many other tools for data visualization, they provide an effective method to display your data, or aid in the method of thinking.
FREE Venn Diagram Template For Word, Powerpoint & PDF
Venn Diagram Symbols Meaning
- ∪ >> Union of Two Sets. The union of two sets is represented by a full Venn diagram.
- ∩ >> Intersection of Two Sets. The intersection of two categories reveals which things are shared between them.
- Ac >> Complement of a Set. Whatever is not represented in a set is referred to as the complement.