The Definition and the Uses of Venn Diagram
Venn Diagram Tattoo – You have most likely seen or read about a Venn diagram prior to. Anyone who has attended Mathematics particularly Algebra and Probability, must be familiar with this diagram. It is a visual tool used to illustrate the relationship between various items. Learn more about this often utilized diagram across various fields and fields below.
What Is a Venn Diagram?
The Venn diagram is an illustration of overlapping circles in order to show the relationship between objects and groups. In the event that two circles overlap, they share certain traits in common, while those that don’t overlap means that they don’t have any similarities. Each circle is usually is accompanied by a brief description of what category it represents.
It can be used to show differentiators and similarities in a visual way between different things, groups, or concepts. It is frequently used in the education field as a useful tool. It’s been in use throughout the world since the midst in the early 20th century, at elementary educational levels, and also as an integral component of the curriculum for logic.
The diagram was popularised through John Venn, an English logician, during the 1880s. Similar diagrams were invented in the early 1700s through Leonard Euler, a Swiss mathematician. He referred to them as Eulerian circles. This being said, the term wasn’t used up until Clarence Lewis, an academic philosopher and conceptual pragmatism founder employed it in 1918. At the time, it was used to describe an illustration that was circular in the book he wrote, titled “A Survey of Symbolic Logic.”
What Is the Purpose and Benefits of the Venn Diagram?
The Venn diagram is used often in the academic world. Teachers in schools utilize the diagram to help teach mathematic concepts, such as intersections, sets, and unions. For more advanced maths it’s also used to tackle problems that are complex. It is also possible to find diagrams related to statistics, specifically predictive analytics.
Outside of mathematics-related disciplines, it is also used to research the similarities and the differences between different languages. In business it is used to present comparisons of products or services as well as anything else applicable.
Here’s the description of how the diagram will be able to do:
- Visually organize information to look for connections (similarities and differences) between different sets of items.
- In spite of their complexity show the logic behind specific concepts and serve visual communication to illustrate the connection between them.
- When you are deciding on which products or services you want to purchase consider comparing different options to easily discern the similarities and differences among them.
- Solve many mathematical problems.
- Analyze data sets, discover correlations, and assess the probabilities of events.
- Reason logic that is used to support equations or statements and the process of grouping.
One of the main reasons that Venn diagrams are so effective and popular Venn diagram is so effective and well-known is because of its simplicity. This tool lets you look at things in a different way, determine those areas that overlap or separate and provide an illustration of the connection. Alongside pie charts, quadrant charts, bar graphs flow charts, and many other data visualization tools, they provide an effective method of presenting your data and aid the method of thinking.
FREE Venn Diagram Template For Word, Powerpoint & PDF
Venn Diagram Symbols Meaning
- ∪ >> Union of Two Sets. The union of two sets is represented by a full Venn diagram.
- ∩ >> Intersection of Two Sets. The intersection of two categories reveals which things are shared between them.
- Ac >> Complement of a Set. Whatever is not represented in a set is referred to as the complement.