The Definition and the Uses of Venn Diagram
Venn Diagram Template Png – You have most likely been exposed to or encountered the Venn diagram before. Anyone who has taken Mathematics, especially Algebra and Probability, must be familiar with the Venn diagram. The diagram is visual tool used to illustrate the relationship between a collection of objects. Learn more about this commonly utilized diagram in various areas and fields below.
What Is a Venn Diagram?
An Venn diagram is a sketch of overlapping circles in order to show the connections between items as well as groups. Overlapping circles mean that they share certain traits but those that do not overlap means that they don’t have commonality. Each circle is usually associated with information about what category it represents.
It can be used to show differentiators and similarities in a visual way between various things, groups or concepts. It is commonly found in the realm of education as a valuable tool. It has also been utilized throughout the world since the midst during the latter half of 20th Century, at primary educational levels and as a crucial component of the curriculum for logic.
The diagram was popularized by John Venn, an English logician, during the 1880s. Similar diagrams were created in the 1700s by Leonard Euler, a Swiss mathematician, who called them Eulerian circles. That being said, the word was not widely used for a long time until Clarence Lewis, an academic philosopher and conceptual pragmatism’s founder employed it in 1918. At the time, it was used to describe the circular illustration in the book he wrote, titled “A Survey of Symbolic Logic.”
What Is the Purpose and Benefits of the Venn Diagram?
It is a popular Venn diagram is utilized a lot across the globe of academia. Teachers at the school use the diagram for teaching mathematical principles, such as intersections, sets and unions. When it comes to more advanced levels of mathematics it’s also used to solve problems that are complex. It is also possible to find diagrams that pertain to statistics, specifically predictive analytics.
Outside of mathematics-related disciplines, it is also utilized to analyze the similarities and differences between various languages. In the business world it is used to present comparisons of products or services and everything else applicable.
Here’s the description of how the diagram can accomplish:
- Visually organize data to search for relationships (similarities as well as differences) between sets of items.
- Regardless of the complexity level, display the logic of particular concepts. They also serve as visual representation to demonstrate the relationship between them.
- When you are deciding on which products or services you want to purchase take the time to compare different options and clearly see the similarities and differences among them.
- Solve a variety of mathematical problems.
- Analyze the data set, find correlations and determine the probability of particular events.
- Reason logic that is used to support equations or statements as well as how to group.
One of the main reasons why the Venn diagram is so powerful and so popular is its simplicity. This tool allows you to compare things, identify places where they are in conflict and where they separate, and serve as an illustration of the relationship. Along with pie charts, quadrant charts, bar graphs as well as flow charts and a myriad of other data visualization tools offer a great way to display your data, or aid in the process of thinking.
FREE Venn Diagram Template For Word, Powerpoint & PDF
Venn Diagram Symbols Meaning
- ∪ >> Union of Two Sets. The union of two sets is represented by a full Venn diagram.
- ∩ >> Intersection of Two Sets. The intersection of two categories reveals which things are shared between them.
- Ac >> Complement of a Set. Whatever is not represented in a set is referred to as the complement.