The Definition and the Uses of Venn Diagram
Venn Diagram Worksheet For Kids – You’ve probably seen or read about the Venn diagram prior to. Anyone who has studied Mathematics in particular Algebra and Probability, must be familiar with this figure. This is an image aid that shows the relationship between a set of items. Learn more about this commonly used diagram in different areas and fields below.
What Is a Venn Diagram?
Venn diagrams are Venn diagram is an illustration of circles that overlap to show the relationships between items as well as groups. Overlapping circles mean that they have a commonality, while those who don’t overlap, means they don’t share any commonality. Each circle is usually with a description of the subject matter it is a part of.
It can be used to show the similarities and differences in a visual manner among different objects, groups, or concepts. It is commonly found in the field of education as a useful tool. It’s been in use across the globe in the early part during the latter half of 20th Century at the elementary level and as a crucial element of the logic curriculum.
The diagram was popularized by John Venn, an English logician during the 1880s. Similar diagrams were developed in the 17th century in the 1700s by Leonard Euler, a Swiss mathematician, who named them Eulerian circles. That being said, the term wasn’t used before Clarence Lewis, an academic philosopher and conceptual pragmatism’s founder who used the term in 1918. At the time, it was used to describe the circular illustration in his book, which was called “A Survey of Symbolic Logic.”
What Is the Purpose and Benefits of the Venn Diagram?
The Venn diagram is utilized often in the academic world. Teachers in the school utilized the tool to help teach mathematic concepts such as sets, intersections and unions. At higher mathematical levels, it is also employed to solve complicated problems. It is also possible to find diagrams related to statistics, particularly predictive analytics.
Beyond mathematics-related fields, it is also utilized to study similarities and differences between various languages. In business it is used to show comparisons between products or services and everything else relevant.
Here’s the description of how the diagram can do:
- Visually organize information to look for connections (similarities and differences) between different sets of items.
- – No matter the level of complexity show the logic behind specific concepts, and use visual communication to show the relation between them.
- When deciding what products or services to purchase take the time to compare different options and easily discern the similarities and differences among them.
- Solve various mathematical problems.
- Analyze data sets to uncover correlations, and then evaluate the likelihood of specific events.
- Reason logic that supports equations or statements, as well as the process of grouping.
One of the major reasons why it is that the Venn diagram is powerful and well-known is its simplicity. This tool lets you compare things, identify those areas that overlap or separate and provide an image representation of the relation. Alongside pie charts, bar graphs, quadrant charts as well as flow charts and a myriad of other data visualization tools, they provide an effective method to display your data or assist in the process of thinking.
FREE Venn Diagram Template For Word, Powerpoint & PDF
Venn Diagram Symbols Meaning
- ∪ >> Union of Two Sets. The union of two sets is represented by a full Venn diagram.
- ∩ >> Intersection of Two Sets. The intersection of two categories reveals which things are shared between them.
- Ac >> Complement of a Set. Whatever is not represented in a set is referred to as the complement.