The Definition and the Uses of Venn Diagram
Venn Diagram Worksheet Pdf – Most likely, you’ve been exposed to or encountered a Venn diagram prior to. Anyone who’s attended Mathematics, especially Algebra and Probability, must have a good understanding of this diagram. It is a visual aid that illustrates the relation between a set of items. Learn more about this commonly employed diagram in different fields and fields below.
What Is a Venn Diagram?
An Venn diagram is a diagram of circles that are overlapping to illustrate the interrelationships between different items or groups of items. Overlapping circles mean that they have a commonality and those that don’t overlap indicate that they do not share any commonality. Each circle is usually with a description of what it’s representing in terms of.
It’s used to depict the similarities and differences in a visual way among different objects, groups or concepts. It is widely used in the realm of education as a tool that can be useful. It’s also been used throughout the world since the middle during the latter half of 20th Century, at the elementary level and as an essential element of the logic curriculum.
The diagram was popularised in the 1880s by John Venn, an English logician during the 1880s. Similar diagrams were created in the late 1700s from Leonard Euler, a Swiss mathematician who referred to them as Eulerian circles. The word was not widely used for a long time until Clarence Lewis, an academic philosopher and conceptual pragmatism pioneer used it in 1918. At that time, it was used to describe an illustration of a circle in his book, which was titled “A Survey of Symbolic Logic.”
What Is the Purpose and Benefits of the Venn Diagram?
It is a popular Venn diagram is used often within the world of academics. Teachers at schools use the tool to help teach mathematic concepts such sets, intersections and unions. When it comes to more advanced levels of mathematics the tool is also used to tackle complicated problems. It is also possible to find diagrams in the field of statistics, specifically predictive analytics.
Outside of mathematics-related disciplines, it can also be used to research the similarities and the differences between different languages. In the world of business it is utilized to display comparisons of products as well as services. It is also used to display any other information that is relevant.
Here’s the explanation of how the diagram can do:
- Visually organize information to search for relationships (similarities as well as differences) between different sets of items.
- – No matter the level of complexity It will show the logic of specific concepts and serve visual communication to show the connection between them.
- When you are deciding on which products or services you want to purchase consider comparing different options to be able to clearly discern the similarities and differences among them.
- Solve various mathematical problems.
- Analyze data sets, discover correlations, and assess the probability of particular events.
- – Reason logic which supports equations or statements, and an approach to grouping.
One of the major reasons why Venn diagrams are so effective and popular Venn diagram is powerful and so popular is because of its simplicity. It allows you to look at things in a different way, determine the areas where they intersect and differ, and serve as an illustration of the relation. Alongside pie charts, quadrant charts, bar graphs flow charts and other tools for data visualization are a good method of presenting your data or assist in the process of thinking.
FREE Venn Diagram Template For Word, Powerpoint & PDF
Venn Diagram Symbols Meaning
- ∪ >> Union of Two Sets. The union of two sets is represented by a full Venn diagram.
- ∩ >> Intersection of Two Sets. The intersection of two categories reveals which things are shared between them.
- Ac >> Complement of a Set. Whatever is not represented in a set is referred to as the complement.