The Definition and the Uses of Venn Diagram
What Is Venn Diagram In English – It is likely that you have been exposed to or encountered the Venn diagram in the past. Anyone who has studied Mathematics, especially Algebra and Probability, must already be familiar with this figure. It is a visual aid used to illustrate the relationship between various items. Find out more about this widely used diagram in different areas and fields below.
What Is a Venn Diagram?
An Venn diagram is a sketch of circles that are overlapping to illustrate the connections between items or groups. The overlap of circles indicates that they share a certain characteristic but those that do not overlap means that they don’t share a commonality. Each circle is usually associated with information about what category it represents.
It can be used to show similarities and differences visually between various things, groups, or concepts. It is widely used in the field of education as a helpful tool. It has also been used across the globe in the early part decades of the twentieth century at elementary educational levels, and also as an integral part of the logic curriculum.
The diagram was popularized via John Venn, an English logician during the 1880s. Similar diagrams were created in the 1700s by Leonard Euler, a Swiss mathematician, who called them Eulerian circles. This being said, the term was not popular up until Clarence Lewis, an academic philosopher and conceptualist who founded pragmatism employed the term in 1918. In 1918, the term was used to refer to the circular illustration in his book, which was entitled “A Survey of Symbolic Logic.”
What Is the Purpose and Benefits of the Venn Diagram?
The Venn diagram is utilized a lot within the world of academics. Teachers in the school utilized the device for teaching mathematical principles, such as intersections, sets, and unions. For more advanced maths the tool is also used to solve complicated problems. It is also possible to find diagrams in the field of statistics, especially predictive analytics.
Beyond mathematics-related fields, it is also utilized to study similarities and differences between various languages. In business it is utilized to present comparisons of products as well as services. It is also used to display any other information applicable.
Here is the explanation of how the diagram will be able to do:
- Visually organize information in order to look for connections (similarities in addition to differences) between items.
- – No matter the level of complexity regardless of complexity level, show the logic behind specific concepts, and use visual representation to demonstrate the relation between them.
- When deciding which goods or services to buy look at a variety of options and notice the similarities and differences between them.
- Solve a range of mathematical problems.
- Analyze the data set, discover correlations, and assess the probability of certain events.
- Reason logic that is used to support equations or statements, as well as an approach to grouping.
One of the biggest reasons for why one of the main reasons why Venn diagram is so powerful and well-known is because of its simplicity. It lets you examine things, find out those areas that overlap or separate and provide an image representation of the connection. Alongside pie charts, bar graphs, quadrant charts as well as flow charts and many other tools for visualizing data They provide a powerful method of presenting your data or help with the process of thinking.
FREE Venn Diagram Template For Word, Powerpoint & PDF
Venn Diagram Symbols Meaning
- ∪ >> Union of Two Sets. The union of two sets is represented by a full Venn diagram.
- ∩ >> Intersection of Two Sets. The intersection of two categories reveals which things are shared between them.
- Ac >> Complement of a Set. Whatever is not represented in a set is referred to as the complement.